Benefits of Using a UAS (Drone) for Land Surveying
Using a UAS (an unmanned aerial system, or drone) for 3D mapping provides many benefits to a project. A UAS can capture aerial images and LiDAR from the sky. This equipment can be used to perform photogrammetry, topographic surveys and more. Here, we explain the benefits of utilizing UAS technology.
- Reduces field time: Using a drone allows surveyors to conduct surveys over a large area of land in a shorter amount of time.
- Provides accurate data: Drones can take highly accurate measurements and photograph while collecting GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) data to map geographic locations.
- Can access hard-to-reach areas: A drone may be able to survey an area that would be difficult to access for a surveyor on land, which can further reduce time and increase safety for the surveyor.
The aerial images or LiDAR data collected by a drone can be used to create topographic maps, 3D models and an overall aerial image of the project. A drone can collect many different types of information that are beneficial to a surveyor, client and project:
- Topographic Surveys: A topographic survey locates three-dimensional surface features of a property.
- Photogrammetry: Photogrammetry is the act of obtaining information from photos. Using images from a drone, individuals could create detailed maps or 3D reconstructions of buildings or sites. Detailed models and maps of an area can be created from these images.
- LiDAR: LiDAR stands for “light detection and ranging.” LiDAR sensors send out pulses of laser light and measures the time it takes for the light to return as they bounce off the ground. A point is created at every return the LiDAR sensor receives. This creates a point cloud of the area surveyed. A point cloud is millions of points that create a 3D model of the area.
Drone surveying provides many benefits, including more detailed and complete data collected on on a job site. Kaw Valley Engineering staff and management are conscientious of the advancements being made in surveying technology, which is why we are excited to offer UAS services along with our growing list of advanced surveying technology to get your project done quickly and accurately. For more information about our survey services, please click here.
Since 1982, Kaw Valley Engineering has been the team of experts needed to help take a project from inception to completion, providing a full range of civil engineering, geotechnical engineering, surveying, construction observation and materials testing services throughout the Midwest. Our firm has offices in Junction City, Lenexa, Salina, Emporia, and Wichita, Kansas; and Kansas City, Missouri.